Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Beginning (by Luke)

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5:8

The beginning of college was really interesting for me. While I was still in Ames and working, in the weeks leading up to me leaving, I couldn’t sleep. Those were the nights I sent out mass emails at three in the morning. I don’t know exactly what it was, some implicit excitement, constant anticipation.

I don’t know really what I was expecting, but college sure wasn’t it. I felt disappointed, and for the first few days basically just holed up in my room. I forced myself to go outside and pick up my textbooks from the university book store. I rode my bike, it was raining. Afterward I got lost, really lost. I eventually made it back, but I faced the thought of eating supper alone or with people I didn’t know. When I got through Burge, I looked around for a corner to sit down by myself and hide, but instead I overcame my great introversion and sat down with three Chinese guys. We talked and it really reminded me of China. This became a habit, sitting down with random Chinese people, and though it did not become any easier, I found myself doing it more and more. It yielded 20 new Facebook friends, a database of 13 friends, with info (so I could remember who they were) and I got to personally invite probably one third of all English Club students.

The first 7am Monday prayer was amazing. We started at the Pentacrest. We prayer walked around campus, by the Blue Moose and ended up at the Danforth Chapel. Almost as if interrupted, James  promptly sat down and started playing the piano. He played Always by Switchfoot with a passion that can scarcely be portrayed more beautifully. “Always, I am always, I am always yours.” It rang from the song. We got down on our knees and prayed the Lord’s Prayer. I can tell you, there is no better way to start a day.

Then, the first Salt Company. I invited Alan and Yichen. The music was loud, we were excited and Jeff spoke on “The Problem of God”. He laid out who God is and asked what we were going to do with that. Alan came up to me afterward and told me that he did not believe in what was said, but could he please come back? One of the last songs was “Oh How He Loves Us”. I cried that aloud to God for a whole bunch of people in my life. A well of emotion was released by that song, because it is true, and that is who God is.

No comments:

Post a Comment