Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I Want to be a Cross-Bearer

I bought a book today that I had been wanting. The name is Reliving the Passion, written by Walter Wangerin, Jr. (who I really like because he thinks like me!). This book has forty meditations on the suffering, death, and ressurrection of Jesus. I had been anxious to get a copy since I read about it in another blog on the 2nd day of Lent.

All day it sat waiting as I finished up the necessaries. Now I open it. And I start out. But my Spirit is thirsty for the Truth I know is contained within those pages, so I read quickly and expectantly. Oh, but are they moving...and heavy...and sorrowful; words I don't think my spirit can hold all at once.

So I begin just to read "The Third Day, FRIDAY" and these are the words that speak:
"Jesus has many who love His kingdom in Heaven, but few who bear his Cross. Many follow Jesus to the Breaking of the Bread, but few to the drinking of the Cup of His Passion. They who love Jesus for His own sake, and not for the sake of comfort for themselves, bless Him in every trial and anguish of heart, no less than in the greatest joy." (Thomas a' Kempis)
Let's all be cross-bearers, then, for they are the truer followers of the Savior.
"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
Matthew 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment