Tuesday, July 31, 2012

God’s Eyes

Hey y’all!  I did it.  I posted every day in July. But I’m going to be done with my every day posting now; it’s an added responsibility, and I want  a break…so it’s back to my “whenever I’m kind of inspired” schedule.  But before I go, I wanted to share something with you that I got in an email from Luke today.  Each week that he has been gone to China, his team has sent updates.  Here is an excerpt from his most recent note:

…Then we went inside the orphanage and waited for the kids. As the kids started walking out, some of them were severely disfigured, some had trouble walking and another boy was mute. Initially these kids repulsed me. I didn’t want to be near them. I asked my Father quickly, but sincerely for help to love these kids. Almost immediately I saw the children in a different light, and they began to smile. I began to have a deep love for these children.

When I read his words, I immediately began to sob.  I’m not sure if it was his honesty about his repulsion, or my realization that I do the same thing, that made me cry.  But I think it was the latter.  And I think the words were powerful to me because I realize that not only do some of the “least of these” repulse me, but I allow myself to stay in that state of repulsion and seeming superiority; I don’t ask God to intervene in my mind because I don’t think I am wrong. 

But I am wrong, so wrong, and when I am actually using the mind of Christ, the renewed mind that He has so graciously given, I can see even the imperfect as beautiful; I can see them as His creations, as His beloved children.

God allowed me to witness Luke’s authenticity about his sin through his email. He used it to show the ugliness that exists in my heart.  And it was that ugliness, I believe, that made my spirit sad. But, I don’t need to stay sad.  God has promised me power, power that frees me from my natural, sinful tendencies—the same power that Luke received immediately when he asked his Faithful Father.  All I have to do is ask. 

I have to ask Him to give me His eyes.

And then I have to remember to use them.

May it be so.

Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see

Chorus from “Give Me Your Eyes” by Brandon Heath

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing how God is working in Luke's life. Letting him go to China was difficult, but this trip is life-changing for him!

    ReplyDelete