Friday, June 17, 2011

It's A Start

I am getting published!! Now granted, it’s only an online publication for kids, but I am super excited! I will post a link when my publishing date arrives.

When I went to a publishing conference a week ago, I attended a session called “Writing Devotions for Kids”. Since I have written several informal books for my own kids, I decided to try my hand at writing for other children. Terri, the creator of the site where my devotional will post, said that when one is writing devotions for kids, you need to direct the writing at 8-12 year old boys. The reasoning behind this is that boys are a little pickier when it comes to reading this type of thing, but that girls will read anything. So…that’s what I did. I actually wrote most of the piece in her session where she handed out index cards with either pictures or words on them to get us started. We had to look at the card and decide how we could make that picture/word into an idea that could teach kids about God. I got a picture of trail mix. I will post my simple little devotional—yes, about trail mix-- tomorrow.

So…if you have any 8-12 year old boy(s) hanging out at your house, gather them round, give ‘em some trail mix, and enjoy!

1 comment: