Friday, June 3, 2011

Fly

I am uncomfortable with the fact that my almost 20 year old son came home at 9 pm last night and announced that he was going to Denver for the weekend for a concert with friends.  He can do these sort of spontaneous things now.  He is a grown up.

I am uncomfortable with the fact that my 17 year old daughter comes home from her job late at night in her baby car (that’s what we call the Aveo) on a four lane highway that has become a two lane road because of construction.  There are other ways home, but she says this way is the fastest.

I am uncomfortable with the fact that my 15 year old daughter starts a regular job today and rides Cy-Ride all alone to get there.  I told her to sit by the driver.

I am uncomfortable with the fact that my 13 year old baby boy loves fire and knives and guns and adores blowing things up in our backyard.  I told him to stay away from the pets.

All of these facts mean two things:

#1:  My children are all growing up and becoming independent from my over-watchful hawk-eye.

#2:  They are all going to do things that make me uncomfortable and I can either worry about them or choose not to worry.

I have chosen not to worry.  It is a conscious decision on my part.  I have to go through the same process every time—praying, releasing, trusting, distracting…praying, releasing, trusting, distracting….

It is hard for me to let them fly…let them experience things…let them live their own lives, but that is my next logical step in the heart- wrenching, anxiety-producing, God-fearing parenting process.

And it is right.

And my God is big enough. 

And He loves them more than I do.

I must remember that.

 

Praise the LORD.

   Blessed is the man who fears the LORD,
   who finds great delight in his commands.

His children will be mighty in the land;
   the generation of the upright will be blessed.

Psalm 112:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment