Thursday, August 9, 2012

Overflow

Hey there!  I’m back!  I had a nice little vaca from blogging and now I am ready to get back to it.  Here’s a little story I’ve been thinkin’ about:

On my birthday, I got some money from my parents so I decided to treat myself to a pedicure at the local beauty school. Since the student attending to my feet didn’t have much interest in talking, I mostly just sat and people watched. And on this day, I saw something wonderful:  Just a chair away from me sat a little girl, maybe seven or eight, who, as I overheard (since her student was talkative and friendly), was getting a pedicure for the first time.  She was SO excited.  Every part of the process—from picking the polish to the soaking her feet in warm water to the massaging of her toes with lotion—was a cause for rejoicing for this little one.  She was so thrilled with each part of the process, that by the time the polish was painted on her stubby toenails, she couldn’t keep from smiling.  The joy that was in her overflowed.  It was great fun to watch.

Here’s what God taught me with that;  As Christ-followers, we are filled with God’s Spirit, and…

where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom(2 Corinthians 3:17)

and “no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘yes’ in Christ(2 Corinthians 1:20)

and “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God(2 Corinthians 6:21).

All these things; freedom, positive promises, and righteousness, they excite me!  They thrill me!  They fill me with joy!  But, can anybody see it?  Can anyone tell that I am filled with Jesus because my rejoicing flows out?  Do I keep this joy to myself, or let it overflow?  Cause I think if I let it pour out of me, God, and others, would have great fun watching.  And it might even draw those others to the Source of my freedom, my promises, and my righteousness. Because if I let His light shine through me, I would truly be showing the world who He is.

I want to spend enough time in His presence that I get excited about His presence. 

I want to eagerly follow Him and do His will.

I want to overflow with my love for Jesus so much that my spirit can’t keep from smiling.

So, now, every time I look at my pretty toes, I am reminded what is to be coming out of my Christ-filled heart:

JOY!

 

For God, who said, "Let light shine out of darkness," made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment