Saturday, April 16, 2011

Blind Faith

This is my blog so I can talk about my pets as much as I want, right?

As you know, my cat Sandy is blind and deaf.  She wasn’t always like this so this is a new adjustment for her—and for me.

Sandy can’t hear me or see me, yet somehow she always senses where I am and wants to join me in my work.  Because she can’t see what’s in front of her, I am her security and she searches for me with a sense of smell I guess.  Or maybe she has just become so familiar with me that she knows where to find me.  When she is unsure of my whereabouts, she calls out for me in her own unique “mmrrrooww” until I respond and pick her up or pet her. 

When I do pick her up and put her in my lap, she completely relaxes and usually falls asleep purring.  She is so happy to be with me because it is in my lap that she feels completely safe.  In my lap, her blindness and deafness aren’t nearly as scary.  In my lap, she feels secure.

OK, you know what I’m going to say, but I’m going to say it anyway.  I’m going to compare myself to my blind cat:

I can’t see or hear God, but I can become so familiar with Him (by spending time in His Word, praying to Him, hanging out with Godly folks) that I can figure out where He is and join Him in His work.  I really don’t understand how I know He’s with me, but I do, and it’s just kind of an unknown sense, I guess-kind of like Sandy’s GPS smelling sense.  When I am scared or lost or unsure of where He is, all I have to do is call out in my unique, “Abba, I need you” and He will pick me up or give me some encouragement through one of His other kids. 

When I sit at God’s feet and learn from Him, I completely relax because He is unchanging when my world is not.  It is at His feet that I feel secure.  It is at His feet that I I realize my world is in His hands.

So today, I am thanking God for Sandy because her life teaches me much.

So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment