Friday, January 29, 2010

can you say "pro-cras-tin-a-tion?

Well, I noticed it had been a whopping nine days since I last posted! Didn't I say I started this blog so that I would write regularly??? I don't think once every week and a half qualifies as "regularly".

It's not that I haven't been thinking about a lot of things, and it's not that God hasn't taught me some cool lessons lately. It's just getting myself to do it...you know, the discipline thing that we all struggle with ( I realize that I am not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition--for all you grammer police out there like myself--but this is my blog, for goodness sake!). I have been getting a bunch of other things done lately, like baking meals and making lunch stuff for the kids and putting it in the freezer, organizing cupboards and my sewing room, and cleaning off my desk, and getting ready to go to Mexico in 2 weeks :) (no kids--just me and my honey).

So...why do we do it? Procrastinate I mean. It just makes us all feel bad about ourselves and stressed when we try to catch up. Why can't we all discipline ourselves to do what we need to do when we need to do it? I mean, we take showers every day (or most days--my son, Cole, excepted). That is something with which we don't seem to struggle.

I really like to write. So why don't I do it daily? I make excuses like "I'm too tired" or "It's just too loud in here" (can you believe that one?!) " or "I'm cold and I want to sit by the fireplace" (I say that one every day lately). It's all about discipline. If I really wanted to become a more serious writer, I would write every day. If I really believed that it would hone my skills, I would write every day. If I really believed that I could write a book someday, I would write every day. And I wouldn't leave it until the very end of the day when all those excuses are actually valid. I would give it my best time and discipline myself to do it.

I do believe all of those things and I do want to do this every day. God help me.

May I, like Abraham in the Bible, be characterized by prompt obedience--first and foremost to God's commands, but not only that. May I be obedient to myself and my goals and to the gifts that God has bestowed upon me. May I live my life purposefully and accomplish much--enjoying the journey, rather that sitting back imprisoned by my apathy.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the race marked out for us."
Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment