Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Prudence

My biggest problem with becoming absolutely and entirely His lies in my corrupt thinking and emotions. God wants me to think through my challenges with a renewed mind and not with my very natural, often faulty emotions. When I look in my Bible concordance, the word "mind (minds, mindful)" is mentioned 44 times!! "Feelings" in the sense of emotions are mentioned a whopping ZERO times. Elisabeth Elliot says that "the discipline of emotions is the training of responses." We must exercise our will to think the truth and to learn how to respond correctly. Notice I said "respond" and not "react". There is a difference.

Slowly, but surely, I am learning PRUDENCE. PRUDENCE is the ability to discipline and govern oneself by the use of reason. I am being transformed by the renewing of my mind (Romans 12).

This task, though, is a very difficult one for me and I compare it to the task of learning a foreign language. I am yet a toddler when it comes to being absolutely and entirely His in this area of my life. May God continue to teach me as a gentle schoolmaster.

He must become greater; I must become less.
John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment