Sunday, January 17, 2010

Creativity

Tonight at connection group, we watched lesson 11 of "The Truth Project". The topic was "labor" or work. I was reminded that God is the Author of work and He himself is a hard and a creative worker. Take a look outside...He made it all!

When we work, we are reflecting the nature of God. This, in itself, should motivate us to work mightily "as if working for the Lord." The video also talked about the creative nature of God. This really struck a cord with me because sometimes when I am creative, I really do feel like God has "enabled" that creative process. I also was convicted that I need to allow God to be creative through me more often. I'm not even sure what this means, but I do know that when I discipline myself to do the things I feel gifted at, like writing or painting, or working with kids, I feel energy. I believe that this energy is God's creative Holy Spirit. When I put myself in the position so that I am regularly using these gifts, I am truly playing my role in the "Body of Christ". How can I do this more and more? How can I discipline myself to regularly use my gifts? How can I create built-in creative times where I don't feel pressure to respond to the "tyranny of the urgent?" This is something I will pray about. This blog is one way I can practice my skill of writing. What is another way?

I do know this: I have to be proactive about using my creativity. Sometimes, I look at really creative folks on Etsy who create really cool toys or jewelry or clothing, or at people who are really gifted at one thing--painting for example--and I think, "Wow, when am I going to get good at something?" or "Why can't I be creative like them?" But the truth is, they have to work at their creativity too. Sure, sometimes things just come to them and they produce this awesome product, but a lot of the time, they have to work...they have to choose productivity...they have to discipline themselves to hone their craft. I can be really good at what God has gifted me, but to reach this level, I must work hard. I am willing to do that. God help me.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if working for the Lord, not for men, ..."
Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment