Friday, November 18, 2016

Thankfulness Things: Grace




I really wanted to title this post, “All the things my dog has destroyed in the last 14 months”, but I didn’t think that sounded especially grateful, so that idea was nixed, even though you may see it creep in as a future post (I once did a post about all the things my kids have lost which is a very similar concept, but also mostly ungrateful). My real goal with this weeklong series of Thankfulness Things was to get my mind in the right place so that when wrong thoughts tempt to pull me into their grasp, I can immediately recall these very real blessings that I have in my life.  Here’s my first installment in the series:

I AM THANKFUL FOR GRACE

I am thankful for grace because I am so very fickle. Two days ago, in the evening, I drove home from Bible study feeling committed and confident on my quest to eventually reach the Celestial City (we have just finished studying the book Pilgrim’s Progress, and the last chapter is gold!).  Filled with spiritual adrenaline, I had decided to “let nothing this side of Heaven possess my soul” and to keep my eyes on the prize—namely Jesus Christ.  But, as I turned into my driveway, I saw half of one of my very favorite blue rubber rain boots laying on the cement in the dark and the other half in glimmering navy shreds all across the lawn.  Immediately, I tanked.  I forgot to “set my face like flint” on the narrow path.  I forgot that “our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all”.  I forgot that “God works all things together for good for those who love him”. 

I chose to believe that my life was now bad and that someone needed to take the blame.

All because of a rain boot.  Talk about first world problems.

I had allowed a destructive dog and a shredded piece of footwear to determine how I responded to my situation, my husband, and really, my God.  How sad is that?

Not too sad for grace.

I am so thankful that God has offered me grace when I let my very entitled attitude tell me that I deserve an easier journey--with less sweat and more even ground.

I am so thankful that God has offered me grace when I choose to pout in the “Slough of Despond” instead of pulling myself up with His great and precious promises.

And I am so thankful that God has offered me grace when I descend into the Valley of the Shadow because of my grief over a pair of $23 rain boots.

I am so thankful that God has offered me grace.

Because I will never, ever deserve it.  Yet, He gives it freely anyway.

Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that will pardon and cleanse within;
Grace, grace, God’s grace,
Grace that is greater than all our sin!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me that we all have a little puppy in us. A little urge to be naughty from time to time. Jet is reminding you of this. :) You still love him!

    ReplyDelete