Monday, October 11, 2010

Glimpses of Heaven

As I walked my invalid dog on one of his 10 minute exercise walks today, God allowed me to feel profound joy. Everything was right. I walked along the golden corn and praised God for it's upcoming harvest. I walked in the cool green grass past a pile of old rocks that the children had played with summers ago, and happy memories replayed in my head. I walked between two excellent climbing trees and past the old swing set and through some sweet smelling bedsheets drying in the wind. The birds were chirping happily. The breeze was blowing softly. And I felt so blessed because God gave all of this to me! And it was perfect. And I was part of it.

Occasionally God allows me this feeling of overflowing joy. It bubbles up from the depth of my being and I feel like a carefree child--secure, content, complete. Sometimes I wonder if this is what God felt as He walked through His beautiful garden, admiring all of His handiwork. Maybe He also had a sense of profound satisfaction as He pronounced everything "Very Good".

I remember having this feeling often as a child and now as an adult, occasionally, but I can not replicate it by my own will. I wish I could, as it is wonderful, and I love when it appears; it makes me appreciate such simple pleasures--like warm sunshine and the delicious sound of Sasha purring in my arms. When this joy appears, I am truly full; thank-full, grace-full, plenty-full.

Sometimes I think God gives me these joy-full times to give me little glimpses of Heaven.

You know He's preparing it for us right now!

And that is VERY GOOD!

" You have made know to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand."

Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment