Friday, August 27, 2010

The Word on Worrying

I have been thinking a lot about worrying lately. I really haven't been worrying, I've just been mulling over the fact of why I do it sometimes. Scripture says that true love casts out all fear, and I believe that I do truly love my Lord, so why am I fearful sometimes? Why do I allow anxiousness to take over? Is my true love false?

Here's what I found out: The greek word for "care" is merimna. The root word of merimna is merizo, and merizo means 'to draw in different directions, distract; associated with anxious care or anxiety'. This word is used in the Parable of the Sower (Matt 13:22; Mark 4:19; Luke 8:14) when describing the seed sown among the thorns, "The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries (merimna) of this life...choke it, making it unfruitful."

Here is what I learned: When I worry about things, I am allowing my mind to be divided--or drawn in different directions. When I worry, I am focusing on many things--just not the right thing--My Lord and my Savior.

"I hate double-minded men, but I love your law" Psalm 119:113

When I worry, I take responsibility, robbing God of His power and His peace. Worrying also shows God that I am not really grateful for --or trusting in--his Divine Sovereignty. I need to be thankful that He's "got my back" not doubtful of His goodness.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

When I worry, I "choke" God, and His Word, out of my life. Not only does my worrying prevent me from fully listening to God's instructions, it makes me feel powerless to carry them out. Worrying never gains, it only drains. Spending time with God in His Word always grows me and equips me. The Word is always valuable.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27

"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12


Here's my application: Hang with me here for a second; Once upon a time, many moons ago, we had this weird rubber fish on a plaque that sang and kind of flopped around when you pushed a button on the wood part. Here's the one valuable thing I gained from that ridiculous item--it sang a song of truth (with a slight Jamaican accent). The fish sang, "Don't worry. Be happy" over and over and over again. And as I think back to that flopping, singing Bass, I think that God would agree. We don't have to worry. We can be happy. He's takin' care of EVERYTHING.

No problem...He's got you covered. Now that's something to sing about!

"I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me."

Psalm 13:6



1 comment:

  1. Tori,

    I worry a lot and it bothers me too. I've been surrounding myself lately of verses to help me focus on Him and true peace. I've been reminded on who I put my trust. Isaiah 26:3 has been real meaningful to me lately; to walk daily in His word, be steadfast and trust who He says He is. Thanks for sharing your heart and God's words.

    -deanna

    ReplyDelete