Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Laundering Love

I had a little epiphany today as I sometimes do; God faithfully continues to renew my old-self mind with his transforming new-to-me truths. Here is the "Aaha!" He showed me today:

So...I don't normally do my 18 year old's laundry, but sometimes when he is super busy with track, AP exams, end of the year projects, and Senior night at youth group and his clothes (and his brother's clothes--which he also launders) are emptied out of his hamper all over the apartment floor...then I step in and help him out.

Today was one of those times.

As I was busily folding the clothes I found laying on the table and had determined to be clean (I did this by smelling them) and sorting others into the washing machine, I thought, " I am happy to be doing this." And then I thought again, "Why do I not feel the same way about doing my own laundry as I feel about doing my son's?"

The reason that doing Luke's laundry was not a burden is this: I love him so much and it gives me joy to serve him. I don't love the process of doing laundry for Luke, I love the goal. The goal of my service to him is to show undying love for my firstborn. The goal of my committment is LOVE.

Now, here is my epiphany; I don't act like that for God.

Shouldn't my work for the Kingdom, for my family, for my friends give me joy because I am doing it for my Lord? Shouldn't my satisfaction stem from doing my very best for my Father? I must realize that doing the work God gives me is one way I can love Him. The process might not always be pleasant, but if I realize I am showing my Father love by serving Him, then I will have JOY. TRUE JOY.

And then, I will be showing my Father (and Luke) TRUE LOVE.


"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."

Colossians 3:23

No comments:

Post a Comment