Tuesday, April 20, 2010

YES!

We must never measure our spiritual capacity on the basis of our education or our intellect; our capacity in spiritual things is measured on the basis of the promises of God. If we get less than God wants us to have, we will falsely accuse Him as the servant falsely accused his master [in Matthew 25:14-30] when he said, “You expect more of me than you gave me the power to do. You demand too much of me, and I cannot stand true to you here where you have placed me.” When it is a question of God’s Almighty Spirit, never say, “I can’t.” Never allow the limitation of your own natural ability to enter into the matter. If we have received the Holy Spirit, God expects the work of the Holy Spirit to be exhibited in us. (from My Utmost for His Highest)

This passage by my buddy, O.C., gave me pause. I do judge my spiritual capacity on my natural abilities. I need to judge them on the promises of God. The Bible tells me in Philippians 4:13 that "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Do I believe this? Or do I just do the things that I think I can do and by so doing, tell God that He's not quite strong enough to bring me any further? Just like the master in the parable in Matthew 25 gave each of his servants talents according to their ability, God gives me talents and gifts that I am to use wisely. I am supposed to invest these talents in the kingdom and produce great fruit--the fruit that Jesus has already placed inside me when I accepted him--the fruits of the Spirit.

If I have the fruits of the Spirit inside of me, yet I cower when I am compelled to use them, then I am like the unwise servant--burying the talent I was given. If I do this, I am telling God that the fruits he has given me are not ripe yet--not sweet yet--unusable.

He says they are not! Hey says that His promises are "Yes!" in Christ! He says I have the same spirit in me that raised Christ from the dead! And if I question my ability to be Godly, if I question my ability to make it through the situations in which I am placed, if I blame God for my inability to be holy, then I have misjudged God--I have falsely accused my God of being unfaithful to His word. God is never unfaithful, but sometimes I am.

God tells us through this same parable in Matthew 25, that faithful, fruit-bearing servants will share in their Master's happiness. Upon seeing these steadfast ones, God will greet them with the longed for, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" I want to hear that, don't you?

"YES!"

For no matter how many promises God has made, they are "Yes" in Christ. And so through him the "Amen" is spoken by us to the glory of God."


2 Corinthians 1:20

No comments:

Post a Comment