Thursday, July 19, 2012

To Live, Die to Self

OK.  I need break.  My brain hurts.  I have, however, been very pleased by your responses to my “Soap Box Series” posts. They have been positive and encouraging and I have received no hate mail so far.  I will continue with the series tomorrow, but for now, I thought I would share something that I used to read over and over when I first became a believer…and really should read every day now.  I think it fits well with yesterday’s post.

To Live, Die to Self

When you’re forgotten, or neglected, or purposely set aside, and you don’t sting and hurt with the insult or the oversight, but your heart is happy, being counted worthy to suffer for Christ,

that’s dying to self.

When your good is evil spoken of, when your wishes are crossed, your advice disregarded, your opinions ridiculed, and you refuse to let anger rise in your heart, or even defend yourself, but you take it all in patient silence,

that’s dying to self.

When you lovingly and patiently bear any disorder, any irregularity, any annoyance; when you stand face to face with waste, folly, extravagance, spiritual insensitivity, and endure as Jesus endured,

that’s dying to self.

When you never care to refer to yourself in conversation, or to record your own good words, or itch after commendations; when you truly love to be unknown,

that’s dying to self.

When you see your brother prosper and have his needs met and you can honestly rejoice with him and feel no envy, or question God, while your own needs are far greater and in desperate circumstances,

that’s dying to self.

When you can receive correction and reproof from one of less stature than yourself and can humbly submit inwardly, as well as outwardly, finding no rebellion or resentment rising up within your heart,

that’s dying to self.

Are you dead yet?  In these last days, may the Spirit bring us to the cross, “That (we) may know him…being made conformable unto his death.”

Philippians 3:10

(from The Railroad Evangelist)

No comments:

Post a Comment