Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Love Beyond Reason

I have thinking a lot about God's love for us lately and remembered something that I wrote about three years ago. It is a short piece written from God's perspective and directed to us. When it first flowed from my fingertips, God said to me, "I don't think they understand how much I really love them. Write this down." And so I did.

Here it is; God's words using my pen. It still makes me cry every time.


I WANTED YOU. I created you from the ground, and instantly I loved you…with and indescribable and fiercely protective love. You were a joy to me, and I wanted to give you everything. I gave you a helper. I gave you work to do. I gave you food. I gave you the world. You were of great, great value to me. I spent time with you and my love overflowed when I saw you.

THEN YOU TURNED AWAY. You disobeyed. You chose to break our bond, our gift, my heart. I still loved you when you walked away; more than you will ever know. Yet, you didn’t just walk, you ran. You ran and ran until you found false things that made you happier than I made you. I watched you and my heart ached. I wanted you to desire me again—your Father, your Creator. So, I decided to come and get you—though you continued to run from me.

I WOULD BECOME LIKE YOU. I would experience your world; the world that I created. I would show you what true love looked like. When I came, you still didn’t love me. But, I could not let go of you, my baby, my child. I payed your penalty-- the penalty of a Holy God. I suffered for you. I died for you. My blood removed your stains.

I LOVE YOU LIMITLESSLY AND ULTIMATELY. I am Truth. I am your Father. Won’t you run home to me? I promise to fill you with my Spirit. I promise to never leave you. No matter what you’ve done, no matter what you’ve become, you will always have a home in me. I wanted you. You are my child. I will always love you.
" Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing."
Matthew 23:37

No comments:

Post a Comment