Thursday, February 4, 2010

Breakfast at Tiffany's (A.K.A. Hy-Vee)

Have I ever told you how much I love having teenagers? I am not being facetious. I love hanging out here at the house with my (almost) four lovely teens. Or actually, I should say "young adults". The word "teenager" was not even a word, until the term was coined in a Reader's Digest article in 1941. Before then, you were either a child or you were an adult.
When our kids were just kids, we expected them to act like children, but as they grow toward adulthood, we are trying to train them to be independent, reponsible members of society and contributing members in the Body of Christ. This is no small task. One thing we have started to do during this "training" time is that we have started to date our high school kids. Every other Saturday morning, Brent and I take Luke and Tess to Hy-Vee for breakfast. On the first Saturday, I meet with Tess and the second, Luke (or vice-verse) and Brent does the same. That way each kid gets time with both Mom and Dad throughout the month.
I absolutely love these intimate times with my kids! We have discussed books we have read together, heart issues that we struggle with and just general adolescent concerns and silliness. I cherish developing this open relationship with each one of them and I anxiously await dating my other two when they enter their high school years. When we have these bi-monthly dates together, I feel God's stamp of approval and sense his smile.
So...that's it. I have lots of joy when I think of my kids lately, and I wanted to share it. God is good.
" Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck."
Proverbs 1:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment