Friday, June 18, 2010

Bubble Up

As I was running this morning, sorting through my thoughts and immersed in my ipod accompaniment, I heard the song "JOY " by the group Mary Mary. These are the words that spoke to my mind:

I get joy, joy thinking about
What He's done for me
I get joy, joy thinking about
What He's done for me
It's in my hands, my feet
I'm talking about
What He's done for me
I get joy just thinking about
What He's done for me

And I thought, "Do I get joy just thinking about what He's done for me?"

The real answer to that question is "No".

Why not? Why do I not get joy when I remember all that Christ has done for me? Why do I not get joy when I recognize all that I was saved from? Why do I not get joy when I realize what I am apart from Him? I do not get joy because I am not focused on Him; I am focused on me.

When my problems and my pride make me think my life is too difficult and unfair, and when I choose to focus on my feelings and my rights...then the joy drains out.

When my circumstances determine what attitude I will carry and what kind of day I will have, and when people interrupt my neatly planned schedule of accomplishing much...then the joy drains out.

When I am too busy to "center myself" by sitting with God, talking with Him and letting Him teach me through His Word, and when things become confusing because I haven't put Him first...then the joy drains out.

I want my joy to be overflowing. I don't want my joy to drain out. I want to be Christ-centered, not Tori-centered. I want to be all about Him, not all about me. I want to bubble up with good feelings every time I think about the freedom Christ has given me...about the sweetness He shows me...about the renewed mind I'm thinking with...about the things He has forgiven me of. I can do this by reminding myself everyday--reminding myself who I am and Who He is to me.
He is my Savior and my Lord. He is my JOY.
It makes me happy just thinkin' about it!

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Colossians 3:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment